Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jon Lester Beat Cancer, Won the World Series, Then No-Hit the Royals

It must be an amazing feeling when at the age of 24, throwing a no-hitter at the big league level ranks third in a list of life accomplishments. The story of Jon Lester's triumphant return to the super annoying Red Sox last season after being diagnosed with a treatable form of lymphoma was well-documented. Just pitching last season was not enough for young Lester, as he went on to pitch 5.2 innings of shutout baseball in Boston's Game 4 win over the Rockies in last year's World Series. With that being said, pitching a no-hitter last night against the Royals pales in comparison to being the winning pitcher in a World Series clincher, and more importantly, kicking cancer's ass. I would list all of the things I had accomplished by the age of 24, but I do not want to embarrass any who read this.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Once again, we posted within minutes of each other on the same subject. Pretty funny. Lester just has to make you smile, although reminds me of everything I haven't done by 34.

Staci Kenney said...

Even though I despise the Red Sox, I like this story. Even I have to admit that Jon Lester is amazing. What I like most about this story is that he gave his teammates credit for the no hitter. I've often thought that pitchers get too much credit for no hitters. Not that a no hitter under any circumstances isn't a great achievement but the fielders have to catch everything in order for the pitcher to get a no hitter and the pitcher often gets all the credit. The fact that Jon Lester acknowledged his teammates role in his no hitter makes me have a lot of respect for him.